Speed up your Joomla powered website with these handy tips.
These tips were gained from watching the video below.
Some htaccess magic
- Get the code from http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/Issue-June-2012/item/787-htaccess-File-That-FREAKIN-Works
- Resize images, never use larger than 2560 x 1600px. You could go further and limit them to the maximum width of your page design, about 960px to 1200px wide.
- Consider cropping them down to focus on the story or subject you want to highlight.
- To compress images use Caesium Image processor.
- Smush your images with www.smushit.com/ysmush.it/ from Yahoo.
If you use a JPG quality setting of 80 with any image software the difference is unnoticeable and the compression is nearly as good and sometimes better than the software mentioned above.
Check your site’s speed
- Google page speed insights, at https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights
- YSlow, a Firefox plugin from Yahoo. Can be found at http://yslow.org/
- GTmetrix http://gtmetrix.com/